possible poisoning

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

possible poisoning

Postby guest on Sat May 21, 2005 8:06 am

Hi. I'm wondering if you let users enter their IP/location corrections, will this possibly poison the DB? For example, a spammer in China corrects his IP/location to be the US and for those of us using the DB to filter SMTP connections based on country, the spammer would pass. It's a simple example, but you get what I'm saying..
I've just looked at this project and it looks great! My apologies if I have missed some doc where you coved my question.

Great work!
Expert

Re: possible poisoning

Postby bfolkens on Sun May 22, 2005 10:39 am

guest wrote:Hi. I'm wondering if you let users enter their IP/location corrections, will this possibly poison the DB? For example, a spammer in China corrects his IP/location to be the US and for those of us using the DB to filter SMTP connections based on country, the spammer would pass. It's a simple example, but you get what I'm saying..
I've just looked at this project and it looks great! My apologies if I have missed some doc where you coved my question.

Great work!

This is a concern we see a lot - there are several protective measures in place to prevent stuff like this happening.

As always, additional ideas are welcome
bfolkens
Site Admin

Postby Guest on Fri May 27, 2005 8:34 pm

You might want to be more specific about the counter-measures being implemented to prevent spoofing of IP data entries in the database, since it is going to be a major concern of any site administrator seeking accurate data, i.e. perhaps a user can't enter a city outside his country, for e.g.
Expert

Postby bfolkens on Tue May 31, 2005 1:14 pm

Anonymous wrote:You might want to be more specific about the counter-measures being implemented to prevent spoofing of IP data entries in the database, since it is going to be a major concern of any site administrator seeking accurate data, i.e. perhaps a user can't enter a city outside his country, for e.g.

Not a bad idea - I'll try to come up with something more formal and post it to the site since that's something a lot of people probably wonder about...
bfolkens
Site Admin

Return to IP Address Lookup