please seperate Latitude, Longitude in XML

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

please seperate Latitude, Longitude in XML

Postby guest on Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:31 pm

a seperate tag for latitude and longitude in your xml would be nice
Expert

Re: please seperate Latitude, Longitude in XML

Postby bfolkens on Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:18 pm

guest wrote:a seperate tag for latitude and longitude in your xml would be nice

I'll try to get that done ASAP
bfolkens
Site Admin

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:45 pm

Until this is done, is it possible to reverse the output order for latitude and longitude in the XML file?

I'll explain:
Your example file (http://www.hostip.info/api/get.XML?ip=12.215.42.19) outputs the coordinates in the format:
Code: Select all
<gml:coordinates>-88.4588,41.7696</gml:coordinates>
which means the coordinates are in the form (Longitude,Latitude) - a reverse order of the common output. This creates problems, such as when entering these coordinates into map services. Google Maps, for example, will output these coordinates' location as somewhere near Antarctica.

Is this order random, or is it there because of necessity? If it isn't, I think that many users will appreciate if you reverse it.

Thanks!
Expert

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:02 pm

Hello again,
I just looked at the Google Maps API, and it turns out that they use the same order that I just critiqued.
So I take my words back.

Sorry! :oops:
Expert

Postby bfolkens on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:17 pm

Guest wrote:

Until this is done, is it possible to reverse the output order for latitude and longitude in the XML file?

I'll explain:
Your example file (http://www.hostip.info/api/get.XML?ip=12.215.42.19) outputs the coordinates in the format:
Code: Select all
<gml:coordinates>-88.4588,41.7696</gml:coordinates>
which means the coordinates are in the form (Longitude,Latitude) - a reverse order of the common output. This creates problems, such as when entering these coordinates into map services. Google Maps, for example, will output these coordinates' location as somewhere near Antarctica.

Is this order random, or is it there because of necessity? If it isn't, I think that many users will appreciate if you reverse it.

Thanks!

I thought this was the GML spec, if anyone knows otherwise, please post
bfolkens
Site Admin

Return to IP Address Lookup