Can IP address be hacked, stolen and used by someone else?

Discussion about internet privacy - what this means... etc

Moderator: Moderators

Can IP address be hacked, stolen and used by someone else?

Postby rbark629 on Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:51 am

My IP address has been captured by someone to whom I have never sent mail. Alledgely the mail sent to this person is very damaging and now I am being falsely accused. Yes, the IP address is mine but I did not do the writing - also, I am the only one with access to my computer, no one else could have possibly used it.

What can I do to hopefully prove my innocence?

Robert Barker
rbark629
n00b

Re: Can IP address be hacked, stolen and used by someone els

Postby Make on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:52 am

rbark629 wrote:My IP address has been captured by someone to whom I have never sent mail. Alledgely the mail sent to this person is very damaging and now I am being falsely accused. Yes, the IP address is mine but I did not do the writing - also, I am the only one with access to my computer, no one else could have possibly used it.

Robert Barker

If i understand correctly that person send very damaging mail to another person using your ip and you are now falsely accused.
If that person used your IP adress to send mail it means that he has access to your PC.
I'll suggest you to scan your PC on trojans and viruses and use firewall to block unauthorized using of your PC.
It is probably that your PC is infected with trojan horse and that someone have virtual access to your PC.
It means that he can do on your pc eveything what you do.

----------------------------------------
ProxyBLind
http://www.proxyblind.org
Sollution for privacy, anonymity and security
Make
Expert

Postby rbark629 on Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:29 am

Thank you for this. Yes, I am aware of trojans etc. but I can assure you that
my machine is virus and trojan free. I do have firewall disabled, however, as it was causing problems with accessing my ISP.

If someone was highly computer knowledgeable, however, would they realistically be able to capture my IP address merely via an unfirewalled connection? There is one person that I know locally who may have reason to hurt me - he is extremely ingenious at hacking - he knows my e-mail and may even know my password.

Thank you again for any help or suggestions

Robert
rbark629
n00b

Postby whitecurve on Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:18 pm

I think it is much more likely that someone has spoofed your email address rather then your IP as its fairly easy to spoof an email from someone. Email addresses are not really tied to an IP address in anycase.

Though I'm a little unclear on how you know they have our IP address? More details please....

Can i suggest you:
1. Change you password immediately to something only you will remember.
2. Consider getting a secure certificate to digitally sign your email with. They can be obtained free of charge and have of the benefit of you needing to prove you identity before it is issued. They can be installed in almost any email program. Go to http://www.thawte.com/wot/ for details.
whitecurve
n00b

Postby rbark629 on Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:39 pm

A close friend of mine, who also is a colleague of the recipient of the damaging e-mail has received mail from him with my IP address as the content of his note. This can be found by using the "SmartWhois" program which will give you the IP address of any incoming e-mails and I assume is how he was able to get the IP adress of the mail he was sent. I have never written to the person being damaged yet he has an "anonymous" e-mail, potentially damaging to him and his position and my computer IP address is confirmed. I've seen the note he sent to my close and trusted friend that identifes my IP address.

So, having never sent this person ANY mail, I am totally baffled as to how my IP address appeared as the origin.

I did change my password earlier today, I have enabled my firewall again. Thank you for the suggestion about the digitally secure certificate - I will explore that further.

I am very troubled over all of this and am simply trying to find an explanation so that I can be cleared of any implications
rbark629
n00b

Postby rbark629 on Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:47 pm

TO "Whitecurve"

If it helps you, here is the copy of the mail sent to my trusted friend from the individual being damaged:

Not really, It only takes a second to make a new account these days.
All I have to go on is the tracer number which tells where the file is comming from:
(c-67-167-175-169.client.comcast.net[67.167.175.169])

The numbers are most definately my IP address
rbark629
n00b

Postby whitecurve on Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:18 pm

I suspect that you are using dialup Internet access such as with an analog or DSL modem.

So unless i misunderstand your problem, the email came from c-67-167-175-169.client.comcast.net and not your personal account. . . .

c-67-167-175-169.client.comcast.net is not your address just the connection to the Internet you are using. These have an IP address which change occasionally. I've had about 10 - 15 in the last year until i paid to get a fixed IP. Ideally which ever net connection you use will have email sent over it using a REAL email address.

The person who sent the mail probably has received a mail from you in the past and just looked to see where you sent it from.

I hope that puts you mind at rest.
whitecurve
n00b

Postby Make on Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:21 pm

I think that best is if you can provide to us email header (friend that receive such mail can send it to you).Email header have valuable info that can give a more light on what really happend (IP , email program used to send mail etc..)

----------------------------------------
ProxyBlind
http://www.proxyblind.org
Sollution for privacy, anonymity and security
Make
Expert

Postby rbark629 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:24 pm

For Whitecurve . . .

When I send myself an e-mail, the following is what SmartWhois shows for information about the sender. You will note "X-Originating-IP: [204.127.202.59] Received : from robert c-67-167-175-169.client.comcast.net[67.167.175.169])"

Received: from sccrmhc11.comcast.net (sccrmhc14.comcast.net[204.127.202.59](misconfigured sender))
by sccrmxc22.comcast.net (sccrmxc22) with ESMTP
id <20050308174931s2200g36aqe>; Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:49:31 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [204.127.202.59]
Received: from robert (c-67-167-175-169.client.comcast.net[67.167.175.169])
by comcast.net (sccrmhc14) with SMTP
id <2005030817493101400pojmle>; Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:49:31 +0000
To: "'Robert Barker'" <[email protected]>
Subject: Test message
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:49:30 -0500
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00E3_01C523DD.45BA9ED0"
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.2627
Importance: Normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: 00000000019BDD0BDDBA3049AF0F30E60A0833F2A4D42500

Every e-mail from me has the 67.167.175.169 IP address embedded in it, as did the damaging e-mail (see above post, Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:47 pm) Fortunately the individual receiving the damaging mail only has those numbers and not my e-mail address also, as SmartWhois shows..The person receiving the "bad" mail and I have NEVER had any e-mail exchanges . . . I have only learned about this from a trusted third party (who does exchange regularly with this person). So, since the 67.167.175.169 shows in every e-mail from me and it also appeared in the bad mail sent to (let's simply call him "Fred" for easy identification) Fred, then it is suspected that that mail originated from me. Again, I have NEVER sent any mail to "Fred", he has never sent any mail to me. I only know of "Fred" peripherally via my trusted third party friend.

I am sorry to sound as though I'm belaboring this but it has become extremely critical to me to prove that I truly did not send any damaging mail to "Fred". I realize I may be having difficulty articulating the issue as it is complicated to explain.

So, sorting out all the above, if I am "67.167.175.169" but have never sent any mail to "Fred", how did that number get into "Fred's" hands?

Thank you for your patience with me,
Robert
rbark629
n00b

Postby rbark629 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:26 pm

For Whitecurve again -

I connect to I-net via high speed cable - Comcast is a U.S. cable television and Internet provider
rbark629
n00b

Postby whitecurve on Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:30 pm

your ISP may be able to provide a log of your connecting IP address but you might have a hard time convincing them to give it to you. law enforcement agnecies in many countries can force them to be provided but i doubt you have that ability.

I'm sorry to say i cant think of any conclusive way of proving your innocence without an IP log of your activity or a copy of the dambing mail. Can you try mailing the recipient and explain that you were not the sender of the mail? Maybe your mail client is different to the one used to send it. . . .

Also most people dont even know about mail headers and anyway email addresses are more important than IP's.

Past recommending you use a secure cert or contacting your ISP, I can only suggest some further reading.

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sD ... 62,00.html
http://secinf.net/misc/How_to_protect_f ... mail_.html
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/ ... ofing.html

Unf Email spoofing is very easy. If would like someone to help you with any of these things outside the board please contact me throught my website.
whitecurve
n00b

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:58 am

Each mail has a record of what route it took. Its posible to add records to this. This can be tested. Try adding the mail plus headers to spamcop.net.
Expert

Re: Can IP address be hacked, stolen and used by someone els

Postby mecdarkend on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:58 pm

Hi, Robert,

As I understand the situation, a close friend told you that a mutual acquaintance (a coworker?) accused you to said friend of having emailed him an objectionable email? That as evidence this acquaintance provided your friend with the email header which included the (static) IP of your office or home computer?

Under other circumstances, I would say that anyone who accuses me of emailing an objectionable message is a bit of a fool, because as others already pointed out, it is all too easy for spammers (and other bad guys) to forge email headers. But in these cases, I would not expect to be told that the recipient is acquainted with me.

Is the person who recieved the objectionable email in fact in your on-line address book? Or that of your mutual friend? It could be that some virus on the machine of your mutual friend might have been used to mail objectionable messages allegedly "from" some persons in his on-line address book to other persons in his address book. However if, as I guess, all three of you work in the same building, the most likely explanation might be a prank by a coworker, possibly someone who had access to your computer while you were out of the office for a few minutes?
I know you said "I am the only one with access to my computer, no one else could have possibly used it", but "no one else could possibly"... famous last words, eh?

Well, you really can't prove your innocence. But once the injured party has had a chance to calm down and investigate alternative explanations of how whatever occured might have happened, and why, he might recognize that you are (perhaps) an unlikely person to send out the kind of objectionable email he says he received.

Good luck!
mecdarkend
mecdarkend
n00b

my experience of lace wigs

Postby bcde130 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:51 am

Real human hair is in limited supply, so lace wigs are much more expensive; typically they several hundred dollars. full lace wigs look and feel very natural. However, it is important to know that the quality of your cosplay wig depends on the origin of the hair used. The cheapest comes from Asian countries, but their texture is different from the hair of European women. The best lace human hair wig is made from European hair but, unfortunately, they cost a small fortune.
bcde130
Novice

Re: Can IP address be hacked, stolen and used by someone else?

Postby alenaxx on Fri May 22, 2009 3:58 am

Why is the game called Marco Polo? hey guys im doing a little research on Marco Polo and i was wondering if anyone knew why the game was called Marco polo? Does it have anything to do with him?

Next

Return to Internet Privacy