Database (TODO?)

Development discussion about the hostip.info codebase, libraries, and database

Moderator: Moderators

Database (TODO?)

Postby robocoder on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:54 am

I just downloaded (rsync'd) the database (but have yet to fetch the source...that is, I need to install Subversion), and I have some comments.

1. csv/hip_ip4_city_lat_lng.csv looks horribly wrong
(either it is out-of-date or it is being generated incorrectly)

2. the cityByCountry table has a state column that isn't being utilized by non-US records. I would like to contribute changes that populates the state column with provinces for Canadian entries.

What's the best way to resolve cases like "RICHMOND, BC", "RICHMOND, ON", "RICHMOND, QC", and "RICHMOND, PE"?
(a) Assume the biggest (e.g., "RICHMOND, BC").
(b) Find the closest match given the lat/long?
(c) Add them all...

3. ...except there might be a problem with the current table definition (e.g., city is supposedly distinct given that it is the PRIMARY KEY in cityByCountry).

4. the country 'AP', as reported by APNIC, means "ASIA PACIFIC", not "ARIPO".

I have an idea for drilling down to the country level for "AP" and "EU". (In fact, I have a functioning prototype in Perl.)

5. RIPE NCC hasn't gotten around to completely converting over to ISO3166 country codes. The country codes representing "UK" and 'YU" (i.e., 240 and 242) should be (and can be trivially) converted to the respective codes for "GB" and "CS", respectively.

6. the IP4 table should have another column to represent the IP range. At the moment, each row implicitly represents a /24 block. Using an explicit IP range could significantly reduce the number of rows (i.e., coalescing adjacent blocks that have a common city+country). It would also allow for more granularity in some cases (e.g., routers with relatively static IP addresses that appear in traceroute hops).
robocoder
Veteran

Re: Database (TODO?)

Postby Rup on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:04 am

robocoder wrote:4. the country 'AP', as reported by APNIC, means "ASIA PACIFIC", not "ARIPO".

5. RIPE NCC hasn't gotten around to completely converting over to ISO3166 country codes. The country codes representing "UK" and 'YU" (i.e., 240 and 242) should be (and can be trivially) converted to the respective codes for "GB" and "CS", respectively.

These still appear to be wrong in the database. (However ISO 3166's CS has since split into RS and ME.)

In addition:
    * there's still an entry for Timor-Leste with its old code TP as well as the new code TL
    * AC, Ascension Island, doesn't exist in the latest ISO-3166 list but that's probably fair enough
    * ISO 3166 have AX for the Åland Islands which isn't in hostip yet
Rup
n00b

absolutely gorgeous

Postby bcde130 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:12 am

beautiful, absolutely gorgeous... o yeah and these StarCraft CD Key Lace Wigs Full Lace Wigs Cosplay Wigs Cheap Full Lace Wig are not bad!
bcde130
Novice

Return to Hostip.info code/database devel