how to get the ISP

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

how to get the ISP

Postby skipper on Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi,

Im currently developing a site tracker for our company's website. i'm able to retrieve info's like country, state, region, city and ISP by using the user's IP address. http://www.showmyip.com/soap/lookupserver.php?wsdl this seems to be buggy sometimes and it seems that it is down always. when i look at your database. i found out that you could get the country, state and even the city. now, i was wondering, how could i get the ISP of a user. so that i could use your database and scrap the webservice. and also, how could i run your scripts. it's almost half a gig. i have tried the OSQL of MSSQL and it doesnt work, how do you run it in MYSQL? Thank you very very very much!!!

Skipper
skipper
n00b

Re: how to get the ISP

Postby bfolkens on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:53 am

skipper wrote:Hi,

Im currently developing a site tracker for our company's website. i'm able to retrieve info's like country, state, region, city and ISP by using the user's IP address. http://www.showmyip.com/soap/lookupserver.php?wsdl this seems to be buggy sometimes and it seems that it is down always. when i look at your database. i found out that you could get the country, state and even the city. now, i was wondering, how could i get the ISP of a user. so that i could use your database and scrap the webservice. and also, how could i run your scripts. it's almost half a gig. i have tried the OSQL of MSSQL and it doesnt work, how do you run it in MYSQL? Thank you very very very much!!!

Skipper

There is a small howto on the site to import into mysql - pretty much as simple as:
Code: Select all
gzcat dumpfile.sql.gz | mysql -u username -p password database

or if you use the bz2 dump
Code: Select all
bzcat dumpfile.sql.bz2 | mysql -u username -p password database

To lookup the ISP you would need to use an additional database and join the two - there is some effort in developing one based on other sources, but the license is tainted so we cannot distribute it here.
bfolkens
Site Admin

Postby skipper on Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:38 am

Thanks! :P
skipper
n00b

Return to IP Address Lookup