confused

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

confused

Postby IP address lookup? on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:37 pm

Hello.

I've denied access to my site to a visitor whose service provider (I was able to trace) is TWTelecom out of Littleton, Colorado.

But they seem to keep changing their ip address, so I have to keep adding the new address to my deny list.

Can someone explain this to me? I thought an ip address would not change unless we changed provider.

Thanks,

Kate
IP address lookup?
Expert

Re: confused

Postby bfolkens on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:45 am

IP address lookup? wrote:Hello.

I've denied access to my site to a visitor whose service provider (I was able to trace) is TWTelecom out of Littleton, Colorado.

But they seem to keep changing their ip address, so I have to keep adding the new address to my deny list.

Can someone explain this to me? I thought an ip address would not change unless we changed provider.

Thanks,

Kate

IP addresses (at most providers) are dynamically assigned. This is especially the case in dial-up and cable modems. DSL tends to issue static at a premium, but most customers (i.e., the common customer) is still issued a dynamic address.

One way to do this is to determine the range for the ISP and disallow the entire block of addresses assigned to the ISP. Note however, that it may have a negative affect on visitors who are benign.

Hope that helps...
bfolkens
Site Admin

confused

Postby kate on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:54 pm

Thanks Brad.

I've been adding each new ip address to the deny list as it appears in my stats and I'm essentially denying access to a block of addresses. Is there any way to determine what the start/end addresses might be for that provider?

Kate
kate
Expert

Postby Teo on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:58 pm

If you block his IP range,
he could again take another provider to connect (in library, university, cyber coffee,...) or install a free soft to have a fake IP from another country (proxy, ...) or use an indirect site to show yours (http://www.anonymizer.com/ on top right area).

Then today it's impossible to block realy an user by his IP only.
If he want enter, he will enter.

Add a login/password with valid and manual mail confirmation.
It's the better way to control visitors on critical contents.
Teo
n00b

no longer confused

Postby kate on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:37 am

Thanks for the help.

This is a GREAT site/forum. I'm delighted I found it and look forward to further enlightenment!

Cheers... k
kate
Expert

Return to IP Address Lookup