Accessing xml api from Asp.Net

Discussions regarding API development - so not necessarily the core codebase or database - but things to connect to it, either remotely or in conjunction to the database

Moderator: Moderators

Accessing xml api from Asp.Net

Postby JZComputer on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:08 pm

I use Visual Studio 2003 Pro, in VB, but can usually decipher C# enough to get by.

I posted a message about accessing over on the Asp.Net forums, and so quickly developed the bare-bones beginnings of an easy way to directly access the xml api here. You can see entire message thread at:

Before I can post reasonably complete working source code *here* I have some simple questions concerning xml responses:
I tried feeding the api IP's like and and get (Private Address) returned in <gml:name> and <countryName>. In order to write some basic If/Then statements I need to know what would be returned in these values if an *unknown* IP is sent. (I'd even tried like and got something like Bangalore, India). With 850,000+ records there's no way I want to try to *guess* at finding an unknown one. :-)

Also, if a record exists for which there is no corresponding Longitude/Latitude info, what if anything would be returned in <gml:coordinates>?

Is there a source somewhere that I am overlooking that explains all this?

Basically I just need to know the various xml responses (or lack of) I may need to look for from unknown, non-US or otherwise unusual IP's.

In a world full of money hungry Big Business and totally impersonal Giant Mega Corporations, is lke a drink of fresh cold springwater in the middle of a really hot day. :-)

Re: Accessing xml api from Asp.Net

Postby bfolkens on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:30 am

Nice analogy ;)

I think it returns "Unknown" if the city is unknown and Unknown if the country is unknown too
Site Admin

Return to API development