i p address question

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

i p address question

Postby geronimo on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:45 pm

Hi..Can anyone tell me if I visit a forum and make a couple of posts can they get my i p address just from those postings...I ask as i got an email from someone on the forum I visited saying they had my i p address?..The forum is like this just a discussion forum but based in Turkey...Thanks
geronimo
n00b

Re: i p address question

Postby bfolkens on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:59 pm

geronimo wrote:Hi..Can anyone tell me if I visit a forum and make a couple of posts can they get my i p address just from those postings...I ask as i got an email from someone on the forum I visited saying they had my i p address?..The forum is like this just a discussion forum but based in Turkey...Thanks

Anytime you visit a website the website's server can snag your IP address and then display it elsewhere. Like, in these forums (I suppose depending on your access level but I've never checked) you can see someone's last-used IP address that they posted from.
bfolkens
Site Admin

Postby geronimo on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:26 pm

Thank for that info....What though if I was to get a Dynamic IP address..would the same thing apply...Would they still be able to find me or my whereabouts ?.....Thanks
geronimo
n00b

Postby bfolkens on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:32 am

geronimo wrote:Thank for that info....What though if I was to get a Dynamic IP address..would the same thing apply...Would they still be able to find me or my whereabouts ?.....Thanks

Dynamic IP's are harder - since they would only reliably know the general coverage area of the ISP (or just the ISP's location itself) - and then they'd need to call the ISP with the date + time, hope the ISP stores who had DHCP leases when, and then find out from them which customer (i.e., you) had the IP lease during that time period. You can figure that's the type of data isn't accessible to the general public unless they've got a warrant and ur in the U.S. (AFAIK)
bfolkens
Site Admin

Return to IP Address Lookup