Not Host but Question for IP experts

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NanLan on Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:24 pm

Ok, I'm not a host of a website (well yes, I have a couple one MSN group & one geocities -- the freebies) but I visit one website that the moderator gets my information using my ISP & passes it along to other members of the site -- it is a welllllll known site with probably nearly a million (if not a million) members.

If he tracks me by my ISP how can I get rid of him seeing my ISP every time I log into that site? I have just recently chosen COMCAST high speed internet & somebody suggested a firewall, so I downloaded ZoneAlarm. I had several other virus & spybot programs, but he still gets my info.

He has not only my IP address, my log-in names & usernames & passwords.

COMCAST is dynamic but only changes their IP addresses every couple of weeks. I don't know the day it changes. I really like it, but I cannot get DSL where I live & don't want to go back to dial-up.

Suggestions??? Thanks
NanLan
Expert

Postby bfolkens on Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:38 am

If you have your cable modem connected directly to your computer - not recommended, unless you've got good firewall software or linux ;) - then do the following in a shell (Go to start -> run... and type "cmd" in the box if windows XP or "command" if using 95, 98, or ME - I'll assume you're running widows)
Code: Select all
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If you are behind a firewall or router or any other network address translating device, then consult the manual for it to expire and reaquire your DHCP Lease (should be the verbiage they use).

There is no guarantee you'll get a new IP when you do the above - it really depends on your ISP (Comcast, etc)

Hope this helps...
bfolkens
Site Admin

Thank you bfolkens

Postby NanLan on Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:20 am

If you have your cable modem connected directly to your computer

:arrow: Yes, I have the cable modem connected directly to the computer, what are the options?

good firewall software or linux

:arrow: What is a good firewall? I had McAfee but recently tried ZoneAlarm. It took forever for a page to load & froze up the computer. What firewall do you suggest? I don't know anything about LINUX, what is it & how does it work? I heard something about it, but thought it was mostly for system administrators & lan users, etc.

windows XP or "command" if using 95, 98, or ME

:arrow: WIN 98

reaquire your DHCP Lease :?:

:arrow: no manual - downloaded from internet (McAfee)

SOMEONE AT MFIRE, suggested I did the >RUN: command > ipconfig /all
but I didn't know what to do after that.

Thanks. I'm grateful for your information. I'll try what you suggested & check back & let you know what I find out.
NanLan
Expert

PS

Postby NanLan on Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:23 am

How can site administrators get by with stuff like this?
NanLan
Expert

Re: Thank you bfolkens

Postby bfolkens on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:13 am

Yes, I have the cable modem connected directly to the computer, what are the options?

Either connect it to a "cable-router" (or just a 4 port router or otherwise will do) (linksys sells a bunch, so do netgear, etc) - What this does is isolate your private network from the "public" network, bridged by the cable modem. So in other words, your computer would connect to the router, and the router would connect to other computers you may have (now or in the future) - and then also connect to the "gateway" (cable modem).

What is a good firewall? I had McAfee but recently tried ZoneAlarm. It took forever for a page to load & froze up the computer. What firewall do you suggest? I don't know anything about LINUX, what is it & how does it work? I heard something about it, but thought it was mostly for system administrators & lan users, etc.

I use the router above - hopefully someone else might be able to suggest a good software solution.

SOMEONE AT MFIRE, suggested I did the >RUN: command > ipconfig /all
but I didn't know what to do after that.

That will just show you how your network interface is configured. If you're interested in trying to get your interface to reaquire a new DHCP lease on an IP Address (read - get a new IP Address) - then run what I originally wrote...

Thanks. I'm grateful for your information. I'll try what you suggested & check back & let you know what I find out.

Hey no problem ;)
bfolkens
Site Admin

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:05 pm

"cable-router"

What is a "cable-router"?

When I posted that question I had a HP Win 98. Since then my computer took a nose dive & I couldn't get online, etc. So, 2 weeks later I came up with a new DELL Dimension 4700C with a lot of features. It came standard with Norton anti-virus & should be a firewall. What are some other features I should look for?

Every time I go to an IP address site ID, like HosTip, I get the same IP. Does that mean if a site like HostTip can read it, can the one in question read it? I assume so.

Thanks.
[/quote][/url]
Expert

Postby bfolkens on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:13 pm

Anonymous wrote:
"cable-router"

What is a "cable-router"?

When I posted that question I had a HP Win 98. Since then my computer took a nose dive & I couldn't get online, etc. So, 2 weeks later I came up with a new DELL Dimension 4700C with a lot of features. It came standard with Norton anti-virus & should be a firewall. What are some other features I should look for?

Every time I go to an IP address site ID, like HosTip, I get the same IP. Does that mean if a site like HostTip can read it, can the one in question read it? I assume so.

Thanks.
[/url][/quote]

A cable router is something like this: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=142&scid=29

It translates the WAN address (66.11.22.33) to something local (192.168.1.100) - it also can act as a firewall to prevent anyone from connecting directly to an inbound port on your computer.

Ideally, the software firewall should do something similar (i.e. block access to inbound ports) - but in my experience they're not as effective as the cable router because they lack NAT (Network Address Translation) - so your computers' IP address is the same as the gateways address (the cable modem).

So to answer your last question - can the site in question read it? Yes.
bfolkens
Site Admin

The simplest answer

Postby Guest on Fri May 20, 2005 6:16 pm

Changing your IP won't drastically affect your "enemy" webmaster's ability to see that it's you. Assuming netblocks tie into your area (and perhaps even reverse-DNS), this database is all he needs. ;)

Perhaps using a service such as anonymiser or using a proxy server will keep you private enough. However, an IP coming from another country (Vietnam, China, etc.) may be just as telling unless the site has an international following.

As far as abusing your login info.. I'm sorry to hear it. I doubt there's much that can be done.
Expert

Return to IP Address Lookup