i p trace and i p changing

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

i p trace and i p changing

Postby Whipsnay on Thu May 04, 2006 2:10 pm

:lol: I am new and I noticed that someone gave an IP number, asked and got a location. Does that mean if I gave you an IP number you can tell where that computer is? also the addrs?

Also can an IP number be changed? I am being blocked :oops: from a site and am trying to figure how to get back on without going to the library or getting a new computer. Thanx. J

PS. I placed a poll question and if it is not what a poll question :? is supposed to be then please forgive me. I am new here..Thanx

Speaking of the poll--this may be replied to from what I asked above but can you tell if the IP is a library, a person (including their name) or would NJ.COM have no idea if they are blocking a public library, personal or buss. computer?

Thanx Again J
Whipsnay
n00b

Re: i p trace and i p changing

Postby bfolkens on Fri May 05, 2006 8:49 am

Whipsnay wrote::lol: I am new and I noticed that someone gave an IP number, asked and got a location. Does that mean if I gave you an IP number you can tell where that computer is? also the addrs?

Yes, for the most part (though not the address)

Whipsnay wrote:Also can an IP number be changed? I am being blocked :oops: from a site and am trying to figure how to get back on without going to the library or getting a new computer.

If you're getting your address from your provider automatically it'll renew after a period of time (or with some providers every time you re-connect). Getting a new computer is unncessasary since an IP address is a function of your TCP/IP connection, not your computer.

Whipsnay wrote:Speaking of the poll--this may be replied to from what I asked above but can you tell if the IP is a library, a person (including their name) or would NJ.COM have no idea if they are blocking a public library, personal or buss. computer?

They might have some idea if they really dug around enough to find out. It depends on them though...
bfolkens
Site Admin

I P number from provider

Postby Whipsnay on Wed May 10, 2006 12:25 am

Thanx for getting back.

I have verizon DSL. I can go on thru what is called an LAN and get on the web via Explorer. If I go to the site I was blocked from I can not post (LAN/Explorer/NJ.COM). But if I close my Explorer window and while the LAN is still enabled I open verizon, hit connect, and open Explorer, I can now post (LAN/Verizion/Explorer/NJ.COM). Does that mean that I have 2 I. Ps, one for the DSL line that is always there and with LAN connected and another when I go thru verizion? And if instead of useing Explorer I sign in to MSN.com does that mean I have another I.P addrs. (LAN/Verizion/MSN/NJ.com)? Thanx and if it sounds complicated to you imagine how I feel. :roll:
I'm too good to be wasted But..I'm too wasted to be any good..Rob Stoner 1978
Ralph Jones R I P Keep playing Bass in Heaven.
Zakk Wylde..Too big to talk to an x-roadie from your ZYRIS days? (remember those club gigs in the 80s?- EDGAR CASEY-PROPHET)
Whipsnay
n00b

Re: I P number from provider

Postby robocoder on Wed May 10, 2006 7:26 am

Yes, it sounds like you have 2 IPs. When you "hit connect", you're using your dial-up connection. It's conceivable that Verizon allocates different blocks of IPs for these services (ADSL vs dial-up).

How or why NJ.COM is blocking you from posting is something NJ.com would have to answer. (For example, there may have been some abuse of the system.)
robocoder
Veteran

Thanx..

Postby Whipsnay on Fri May 12, 2006 8:36 am

Thanx for the info. :D J
I'm too good to be wasted But..I'm too wasted to be any good..Rob Stoner 1978
Ralph Jones R I P Keep playing Bass in Heaven.
Zakk Wylde..Too big to talk to an x-roadie from your ZYRIS days? (remember those club gigs in the 80s?- EDGAR CASEY-PROPHET)
Whipsnay
n00b

Return to IP Address Lookup