IP address and owner

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

IP address and owner

Postby Maike on Sat May 13, 2006 12:40 pm

Hello,

I am searching for a program that trace the address and place of a visitor of my website. I tried various programs but they only give that information of the provider.
I want to have eager information on the territory of address and place of the visitor. Who can help me?

Thanks

maike
Maike
n00b

Postby Maike on Mon May 15, 2006 2:40 pm

Nobody :?: Please help me :wink:
Maike
n00b

Postby robocoder on Wed May 17, 2006 2:51 pm

If the visitor is using an ISP, you're not going to get much more specific than a city. It could be the city of the ISP's office, a data donation, etc.

If the visitor is using, for example, a computer from his/her place of employment, then it is possible to get an address -- but more likely the address of the organization/company's head office. In other words, it wouldn't be specific enough to locate people who access the Internet at remote office/branch locations. (The public library would be an example.)

What's the IP?
robocoder
Veteran

Postby Maike on Wed May 17, 2006 3:09 pm

Tx for your reply.

It's not a specific ip address. I was just wondering if it is possible to trace a person who is visiting my website. Because if it is an company i can aproach them. Although I have found the program neotrace. This program gives me information about the city and degrees of navigation for example AMSTERDAM (52.350N, 4.917E).

Does anyone know how to trace the degrees of navigation? Thanks

maike
Maike
n00b

Postby robocoder on Wed May 17, 2006 3:54 pm

If you're given a latitude/longitude, just enter that into the search input box on Google Maps.

However, I would like to point out that Amsterdam is the location given for the RIPE NCC -- the organization responsible for assigning/allocating netblocks in Europe, Greenland, Iceland, and the Middle East. While it's possible that neotrace is correct, I would consult other sources as well.
robocoder
Veteran

Postby Maike on Wed May 31, 2006 3:04 pm

Thanx for your reaction :lol:

robocoder wrote:I would consult other sources as well.

What other sources do you mean? I have tried variously programs but none give me the information i wish to have. Do you have any suggestions? I would like to have the name and address of the user (located by the ip address).
Thanks
my regards Maike
Maike
n00b

Postby robocoder on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:23 pm

Sources includes databases, programs, and methods. This might include command line utilities (e.g., whois, dig, host, traceroute), querying the cityByCountry table, or browsing the web.

Check out this thread as an example:
viewtopic.php?t=183

whois gives us a huge netblock (12.0.0.0 - 12.255.255.255) allocated to AT&T (of Middletown, NJ). Similarly, traceroute shows us a path through Mediacom Communications (of Middletown, NY).

But through a data contribution, hostip.info reports this last hop (before disappearing into the ether) is in Chicago, IL. We can (not safely, but with high probability) presume the last hop is a router in close proximity to the area being served.

If you look at Mediacom's website, you'll see they specialize in serving small town USA. The list of possible towns comes from locations of Mediacom job opportunities in Illinois.
robocoder
Veteran

Return to IP Address Lookup