Frequency of changes to IP location in real world?

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Frequency of changes to IP location in real world?

Postby jmichalicek on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Obviously, there is no hard and fast rule to this, but does anyone have a rough estimate on the frequency of changes to IP locations in the real world? Both for an IP changing countries (I have to imagine very rarely there) and new IPs being assigned?

I am researching options for ip to country location for my employer and we are currently considering several free and pay options. The free options, of course, have the advantage of being free (not that the pay options are obscenely priced or anything), but are either very rarely updated such as with the perl IP::Country module (seems to be about yearly now) or appear to have little in the way of verifying that data is correct such as with hostip.info (nothing wrong with that, it's a free service after all).
jmichalicek
n00b

Postby robocoder on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:19 pm

IP address assignments/allocations change almost daily (i.e., exclude Sundays and holidays). From what I've observed, the frequency of changes (day-to-day) overall is about 78%. This includes country changes, new assignments/allocations, and changes to the netblock size.

How important is it that you get a specific breakdown? I have raw data for the past 6 months that could be analyzed...
robocoder
Veteran

Postby jmichalicek on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:48 pm

If it's possible to send me the raw data, that'd be great. I can put some spreadsheets and graphs and such together from that to make the management types happy.

I'd actually like to see anyway before putting my name on anything. I don't like to make bad decisions, I leave that to someone else, I just implement the bad decision after it's been made.

I'll pm you my e-mail address if that's alright.

edit: or not, can't pm. If you can, my e-mail is jmichalicek at hotmail.com

Thanks, I appreciate your help
jmichalicek
n00b

Postby robocoder on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:09 am

Oops. My mistake ... it turns out we don't keep the raw data around that long (about 5 MB daily).

I'll see what I can pull from the summary data. It might still be of use to you.
robocoder
Veteran

Return to IP Address Lookup