How much is "a lot of Geotargeting or IP Address Lookup

Questions about hostip.info remote GET support.

Moderator: Moderators

How much is "a lot of Geotargeting or IP Address Lookup

Postby rla on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:33 am

and do you block people if it's too much?

It seems as if our site has been blocked from the service. Is there a limit on the number of queries per day?
rla
n00b

Re: How much is "a lot of Geotargeting or IP Address Lo

Postby robocoder on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:39 am

and do you block people if it's too much?

It seems as if our site has been blocked from the service. Is there a limit on the number of queries per day?

That's a question Brad can best answer.

But if you have a lot of queries to perform, you might want to consider downloading the data and hosting it in your own local database. You'll get more reliable connections and response times.
robocoder
Veteran

Postby rla on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:17 am

I'm still unclear on what "a lot" is.

The mysql version of the db is over 340MB. For the sake of discussion and assuming outbound bandwidth is the problem - a response containing a location is about 500B. To move the same amount of data would be over 600,000 queries. If I made 100 queries every 30 minutes, it would take over 130 days just to match the dl of the initial db.

Is it better to spread the load out over a period of time, or better to have people bulk dl the database and rsync updates to it? 4800 db queries in a day to me sounds like an awfully small number to me, but maybe it's big to hostip.info... just adding some quantitative numbers to it would help those of us who want to use the service and make sure it continues to operate.
rla
n00b

Postby bfolkens on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:39 pm

rla wrote:I'm still unclear on what "a lot" is.

The mysql version of the db is over 340MB. For the sake of discussion and assuming outbound bandwidth is the problem - a response containing a location is about 500B. To move the same amount of data would be over 600,000 queries. If I made 100 queries every 30 minutes, it would take over 130 days just to match the dl of the initial db.

Is it better to spread the load out over a period of time, or better to have people bulk dl the database and rsync updates to it? 4800 db queries in a day to me sounds like an awfully small number to me, but maybe it's big to hostip.info... just adding some quantitative numbers to it would help those of us who want to use the service and make sure it continues to operate.

If you need lots of the addresses, consider downloading the data and querying it directly.

Typically sites get banned if they maintain over 100 simultaneous connections for a period of time to the api.hostip.info machine. This is a good guideline to follow (to keep it well under that). Thus, if you're keeping 1-5 connections open but repeatedly throwing queries out, you should be ok.
bfolkens
Site Admin

my experience of lace wigs

Postby bcde130 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:17 am

Real human hair is in limited supply, so lace wigs are much more expensive; typically they several hundred dollars. full lace wigs look and feel very natural. However, it is important to know that the quality of your cosplay wig depends on the origin of the hair used. The cheapest comes from Asian countries, but their texture is different from the hair of European women. The best lace human hair wig is made from European hair but, unfortunately, they cost a small fortune.
bcde130
Novice

Return to Hostip.info remote GET/PHP support