Accuracy Issues

Development discussion about the hostip.info codebase, libraries, and database

Moderator: Moderators

Accuracy Issues

Postby skullcode on Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:02 pm

Hi there,

First of all keep up the excellent work :)

I am currently developing a desktop application for analysing IP addresses and obviously I need a local copy of IP -> Geo database bundled with the software.

I have searched on the internet and I found this website which is commercial:

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

I was trying to figure out the accuracy of hostip database, so I tried running the same IP address on both hostip as well as on the IpLocator ... and to my extreme disappointment the results vary a lot ..

For example, if you take the IP address: 66.98.208.11

IpLocator returns Houston, TX, USA
hostip returns West Chester, PA, USA (and other city and state on consecutive queries)

So I was just wondering why there is this difference? Does this mean that the hostip database is incorrect (since it returns different results for the same IP address)?

I would really appreciate any comments. I am fairly inexperienced with IP address issues, so it would really help me if you could point out some info as I am seriously considering using the hostip database if it turns out to be fairly accurate.

Thanks,
Skullcode
skullcode
Expert

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby bfolkens on Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:50 pm

skullcode wrote:Hi there,

First of all keep up the excellent work :)

I am currently developing a desktop application for analysing IP addresses and obviously I need a local copy of IP -> Geo database bundled with the software.

I have searched on the internet and I found this website which is commercial:

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

I was trying to figure out the accuracy of hostip database, so I tried running the same IP address on both hostip as well as on the IpLocator ... and to my extreme disappointment the results vary a lot ..

For example, if you take the IP address: 66.98.208.11

IpLocator returns Houston, TX, USA
hostip returns West Chester, PA, USA (and other city and state on consecutive queries)

So I was just wondering why there is this difference? Does this mean that the hostip database is incorrect (since it returns different results for the same IP address)?

I would really appreciate any comments. I am fairly inexperienced with IP address issues, so it would really help me if you could point out some info as I am seriously considering using the hostip database if it turns out to be fairly accurate.

Thanks,
Skullcode

1. Searching 66.98.208.11 on hostip.info returns a "guess" - which we try to indicate on the results on the front page. Since no one from that particular block has updated the information yet, it will continue to display "guess" (or 'unknown city' if you're using the API)
  2. Sometimes (actually, quite frequently) - databases which are available for commercial download are derived from Whois data. If you examine the data closely - the IP addresses correspond to the respective internet providers (and their 'locations') that have rights to those blocks. We, at one time, relied on Whois information, but the problem is that the ownership information is rather out of date (there was an excellent discussion on this elsewhere, and if I had the trackback link I'd post it - oh well ;) )
  3. The hostip database is always growing and improving as a result of the members here - so by all means if something seems inaccurate please correct it using the tools given. After all, this is a free, community service ;)

Hope this helps!
bfolkens
Site Admin

Postby skullcode on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:39 pm

On another point ..

I downloaded the torrent to test the data, and to my surprise the SQL file is 470 MB ...

How do I import the SQL info into a DB via phpMyAdmin, I need to be able to do this .. and the max file size for phpMyAdmin is 52 MB .. ??

Can you let me know about this?

Thanks so much for all your help.
skullcode
Expert

Postby bfolkens on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:28 pm

skullcode wrote:On another point ..

I downloaded the torrent to test the data, and to my surprise the SQL file is 470 MB ...

How do I import the SQL info into a DB via phpMyAdmin, I need to be able to do this .. and the max file size for phpMyAdmin is 52 MB .. ??

Can you let me know about this?

Thanks so much for all your help.

I'll give you a few options just in case...
  • If you have access to the server, download (from www.mysql.com) the MySQL Query Browser - it's an excellent utility to help with queries, loading, etc...
  • If you can't access the server from the "outside" - you can split the file up into smaller chunks. If you know anything about SQL, try to keep the statements together - otherwise just make sure you keep the tables together when you split it up, and make sure to load them in the right order.
bfolkens
Site Admin

Return to Hostip.info code/database devel