Question + Suggestions

General Discussion about IP Address Lookup caveats, technology, ideas, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Question + Suggestions

Postby benj on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:26 am

Hi, I'm a web developer, and I love your service :) So I would like to thank you firstly :)

So my suggestion, could you make it possible to find a users time zone via their IP address? Having the site clock set to the client’s time zone without setting any options is really good, but I have only seen it on a few sites, I have no idea why actually... Personally, signing up to set your time zone is stupid. Especially when it's complicated and just give you the GMT offset (almost all my friends don't know what GMT offset they live in is!). And also if it’s daylight savings time or not?

The question I had is, do you have Canadian provinces in your database? I just would like to know what to put to display to the users on my site :) Also could you in the future, add the Australian states/territories? There are only 8 so it's not super hard :)

Thanks!
Benj
benj
n00b

Postby robocoder on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:45 am

Yes, Canadian cities and provinces are in the database. However, the corresponding time zone for each city/province is not currently coded in the database.
robocoder
Veteran

Return to IP Address Lookup