Working on typo3 support...

Support on setups where you copy the hostip.info database locally.

Moderator: Moderators

Working on typo3 support...

Postby rvt on Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:39 pm

Hey All,

it's just a announce.
I am working on typo3 support.

cheers,
Ries
rvt
Expert

Re: Working on typo3 support...

Postby rvt on Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:57 am

bfolkens wrote:
rvt wrote:Hey All,

it's just a announce.

cheers,
Ries

Very cool! I use typo myself (albeit not for this site) - so I'm excited to see what you have to offer :)

Hey Brad,

seems like we have some in common :)

it's currently a little fun project.
What I currently do is gather the sys_stat table and lookup the users location (country/city). I also want to add the ability to setup multilanguage detection based on the country (not by browser like the other 2 extentions).

Currently a lookup of +14000 unique IP addresses take just to much time, that's the reason I want to put it in postgresql and do bulk lookups in the DB to speed up the process.

I am currently doing some work on the 'Geographic IP Address Traffic Map' But also with a capability to zoom in on a country, not sure how yet tough... maby mapserver??? but that is possible overkill...

Since it is a fun project, I want to have the DB in my system at all, and don't rely on www.hostip.info for lookups. But I don't think that typo3.org will ever store the DB in TER :lol:

Possible I make a switch that the 'API' shown on http://www.hostip.info/use.html will be used for these users that just want to show a flag etc... The flags will be stored localy so the www.hostip.info server doesn't get that much load.

In typo3 I currently use DBAL to store the hostip.info dcata into a seperate database (currently mysql but postgresql soon...) The iplookup API and the iproughlookup is typo3fied with DBAL now but I ain't happy with the speed yet. On this server I have around 300 lookups per second which is not enough for me.

cheers,
Ries
rvt
n00b

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:58 am

rvt wrote:
bfolkens wrote:

it's just a announce.

cheers,
Ries

Very cool! I use typo myself (albeit not for this site) - so I'm excited to see what you have to offer :)

Hey Brad,

What I currently do is gather the sys_stat table and lookup the users location (country/city). I also want to add the ability to setup multilanguage detection based on the country (not by browser like the other 2 extentions).

Currently a lookup of +14000 unique IP addresses take just to much time, that's the reason I want to put it in postgresql and do bulk lookups in the DB to speed up the process.

I am currently doing some work on the 'Geographic IP Address Traffic Map' But also with a capability to zoom in on a country, not sure how yet tough... maby mapserver??? but that is possible overkill...

Since it is a fun project, I want to have the DB in my system at all, and don't rely on www.hostip.info for lookups. But I don't think that typo3.org will ever store the DB in TER :lol:

Possible I make a switch that the 'API' shown on http://www.hostip.info/use.html will be used for these users that just want to show a flag etc... The flags will be stored localy so the www.hostip.info server doesn't get that much load.

In typo3 I currently use DBAL to store the hostip.info dcata into a seperate database (currently mysql but postgresql soon...) The iplookup API and the iproughlookup is typo3fied with DBAL now but I ain't happy with the speed yet. On this server I have around 300 lookups per second which is not enough for me.

cheers,
Ries

Ries,

Good to hear! Well, I wish I could offer more help with it, but I'm not so knowledgeable on typo3 yet since I just started with it.

I can help on the hostip side though...

I wonder if I could come up with several flavors of the hostip database to download. Like one with country resolution and then the one with city resolution so we could make it smaller. Maybe we could use typo in some way to fetch periodic updates too (from mirrors ;)) - and then there would be an up-2-date option too...
Expert

Postby Gandalf_the_grey on Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:55 pm

rvt wrote:
bfolkens wrote:

it's just a announce.

cheers,
Ries

Hey Brad,

cheers,
Ries

One thing to note: If looking up 14K adresses is slowing you down, you Really need to use a binary search.

I'm using it in my search, and it does a full lookup from a few hundred thousand entries, as well as a host based lookup instantaniously. (note that it'd only take 32 iterations to lookup about 4 billion records, or 64 for a few quintrillion).

Gandalf.
Gandalf_the_grey
n00b

Postby robocoder on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:56 am

Unless I misread, 14K isn't the size of the database that rvt is querying against ... rather, it is the number of IP addresses to lookup.

For this particular application, reducing the ip table to the country level would yield a much smaller table (<100K records) and likely speed up lookups. At that size, you could use a cache manager or some other persistent process (daemon) to load the table entirely into memory.

If you still need access to the city information, you'll obviously need to consider tuning your database, file system, swap space size, etc. (Obligatory disclaimer: not my area of expertise.)
robocoder
Veteran

30-Second rant Why I hate Ugg boots

Postby seoceo2008 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:27 pm

OK, it's cold outside, so cosy is a consideration, but does this justify the footwear phenomenon that, like early adopter Sienna Miller, simply won't go away?
I'm talking Ugg boots, those Aussie clodhoppers that are capable of turning any woman under 5ft 10in into an Oompa-Loompa and the shapeliest pins into the back end of a pantomime horse.
With no sign of the craze abating, Ugg is now targeting blokes, too. Angelina and Brad in Uggs?
The Pitts! And teaming his with a purple velour jogging ensemble, Leo DiCaprio could be Tinky Winky.
If you must, www.wonderhowto.com offers a priceless video tutorial: 'Don't wear them with a bathing suit, PJs or to tropical beaches' they say or within a mile of me. buy cheap ugg boots .
seoceo2008
n00b

Return to Hostip.info database local copy support